History Of The Leathes Head
An Historic Cumbrian Hotel with Edwardian Elegance
The Leathes Head is a beautiful Edwardian Period Country House Hotel built in 1909 in the heart of the Borrowdale Valley.
Built as a home for Edith Hellon, the daughter of a Liverpool ship-owner, the house was constructed of locally sourced slate. Its setting, amid glorious landscaped grounds on a lovely grassy knoll, ensured its spectacular views. Edith never married, and in 1938 she gave some of the surrounding land to the National Trust before selling the house. She died in 1940 in Egremont, Cheshire and is buried in the Hellon family tomb in St. Hilary's, Wallasey.
Since then the house has been extended and established as a hotel. It retains the character of the Edwardian Residence, with carefully restored original features apparent from the moment you enter. To this day there are still unique parts of the house that haven’t changed over the years. Our beautiful tiled entrance hall floor was hidden under carpet for the past 50 years, and for a floor that is over 100 years old it is in amazing condition.
Originally, the ground floor consisted of a large living room and dining room, a breakfast room, butler's pantry and kitchen. We now use the rooms a little bit differently; our current dining room was once the living room and vice versa, the bar lounge was the breakfast room and the bar was the butler's pantry. The kitchen remains the same however there once was a back staircase leading from the kitchen to the cook's bedroom above. The conservatory was created by extending the original porch on the front of the house.
Upstairs, there were originally three guest bedrooms, a dressing room, two servant's bedrooms and only one bathroom. These rooms now make up our five ensuite bedrooms on the first floor of the house. A further six bedrooms were subsequently added over the years including three at ground level. The setting of the house ensures that all eleven bedrooms have beautiful views either of the woodland behind or towards Derwent Water and Skiddaw.